Wednesday, June 5, 2013

REFLECTIONS AFTER SUDDEN CONSCIOUSNESS



I don’t know how long I’ve been standing here conscious. As I look at the lighted, shadowy mansion, I wonder who lives there. Perhaps the man closing the barn door right now owns it, his family sitting inside and he, out here, preparing for the imminent storm. I realize that the light comes not only from the nine windows of the house and the door of the barn, but also from dry lightening in the distance. The man must know the storm is approaching and not only sending empty threats. The windmill’s wings start to spin slowly. Storm wind must’ve awakened. Maybe it woke me too.
            Every lighted object reflects on the pond I’ve just discovered to my right. Everything seems dormant. Other than the house, the barn, and the lightening reflecting in the water, everything is dark. Trees surround me, tall, triangular, and green. They are much taller than I am. I must not be one of them. They don’t appear to be aware of my presence or their own.
            There’s a shack behind the windmill, completely dark — perhaps I live there. I don’t know what I look like, so I attempt to move closer to the pond to catch my reflection in it, and find that I can’t move, my arms outstretched horizontally ending in dry, useless hands, my feet attached to something that defies gravity. I discover that I don’t stand on solid ground.
            I continue to examine and re-examine my surroundings. There’s something dry and dead on the ground around what I think are my feet, if I have them, a crop perhaps. However, the crop must have already been picked and has dried out. Maybe one season ends and another begins. I look about me once again to the places I have already examined, and discover that everything is paralyzed in time and space. I must have imagined the movement of the windmill, or else it did move and then it stopped. Even the man at the barn door has not changed his position. I also realize that a person stands by one of the windows inside the house in perpetual closing of the curtains.  
There is one place I haven’t looked yet. I wonder if I can turn my head around to see behind me. I can and I do. Now I see you staring at me from the customer’s side of the corner store’s counter, getting your cash out of your wallet, broad daylight where you are on the other side of this canvas. You blink and move your mouth as if to ask or to tell the cashier something with your eyes still fixed on me. You shut your mouth quickly, shake your head, and pay for your purchase. Then you shrug, receive your change, glance at me one more time, and leave the store. 

Published by Untamed Ink #3 in 2009 

No comments:

Post a Comment